In Côte d’Ivoire, VillageReach partnered with the Ministry of Health to increase low COVID-19 vaccination rates.
We established the first COVID-19 vaccinodrome in Yopougon, an urban area in the city of Abidjan. We opened the site in December 2021 with the ability to vaccinate up to 1,000 people a day.
Through our outreach-focused approach, we increased vaccine convenience and used community mobilization to build vaccine demand.
Children playing outside of houses in Malawi. (Photo Credit: Jodi-Ann Burey)
How It Works
- Vaccine Operations and Systems Readiness: Established a high volume vaccination site in Abidjan.
- Demand Generation and Management: Implementing systematic approach for social listening by establishing HealthAlert/VaccineCheck and using this platform to disseminate accurate info about COVID-19 vaccine through FAQs.
COVID-19 vaccinodromes: Increasing COVID-19 vaccination in Côte d’Ivoire and Democratic Republic of Congo
Fixed Vaccination Site and Mobile Advance Strategy Team Implementation Guide
Case Study: Demand Generation at COVID-19 Vaccination Sites in CI and DRC
Considerations for Your COVID-19 Vaccination Site
A People-Centered Flexible Approach to COVID-19 Vaccination in the Côte d’Ivoire
Through VillageReach’s coordinated, multimodal strategy, daily vaccinations increased from 400 to 800 in four months, and from December 2021 to October 2022:
- 87,108 COVID-19 vaccines were administered in Côte d’Ivoire at the vaccinodrome.
- Around 95% of COVID-19 vaccinations occurred during outreach sessions.
- The CDI Ministry of Health
Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Related Global Impact
See the latest updates from our work to improve access to quality healthcare in the world’s most underserved communities.