Where We Work | Program
Last Mile Supply Chain (LMSC)
The Government of Mozambique and USAID partnered with VillageReach to design and implement a streamlined, effective and integrated last mile supply chain system. The LMSC program is aligned with long-term national strategies and efforts, while taking short-term steps to address chronic logistics and transport challenges at the sub-national level.
SolutionNext Generation Supply Chain
In its efforts to provide quality health services to its citizens, the Government of Mozambique and USAID partnered with VillageReach to design and implement a streamlined, effective and integrated last mile supply chain system. The program began in Zambézia province, covering two districts, in October 2018. By the end of September 2021, LMSC had expanded to support monthly deliveries in all districts of 10 of Mozambique’s 11 provinces, covering a total of 1,500 health facilities.
Advancing Health for Women, Children, and Adolescents Amid Overlapping Crises: GFF Partnership Annual Report 2021-2022
Lessons Learned in Reaching the Final 20: Building a Next-Generation Immunization Supply Chain in Mozambique
Final 20 Policy Paper 6: Delivering the Money: The Importance of Efficient Financial Flows for Vaccine Distribution
Final 20 Policy Paper 5: Change Leadership – The Making or Breaking of an Immunization Supply Chain
The Last Mile Supply Chain program delivers essential medicines and vaccines to more than 1,200 health centers in the Zambézia.
The primary goal of the LMSC program is to improve the availability of health products where they are needed for testing and treatment. Expected program outcomes include:
- Supply chain information is used to strengthen accountability and planning between the provincial level and the health facility level.
- Transportation and logistics execution are improved.
- Appropriate control mechanisms are in place for distribution of health products throughout the province.
- Proven transportation and related logistic processes and tools are transferred to government.
- Mozambique Ministry of Health (MISAU)
- Centre for Drugs and Medical Supplies (CMAM)
- Provincial Health Directorate (DPS) and the Provincial Warehouse (DPM)
- Project Last Mile
- Bolloré Transport & Logistics
- Nichols Group