Where We Work | Program
Drones for Health in Mozambique
In 2018, VillageReach began working with the Government of Mozambique to explore how drones could strengthen laboratory sample transportation systems in hard-to-reach areas. The Mozambique National Institute of Health and VillageReach are partnering with the Inhambane Provincial Department of Health to accelerate COVID-19 laboratory testing in Mozambique. Six hard-to-reach district hospitals and health facilities receive daily collection of laboratory samples via two drone hubs in Inhambane Province.
People inspecting drone in field in DRC. (Photo Credit: Henry Sempngi Sanyulye)
How It Works
- Every day, drones collect COVID-19 and other laboratory samples from six hard-to-reach district hospitals and health facilities in Inhambane province.
- Each drone can travel up to 130 km carrying 3 kg (6.6 lb) /5212 cm3, averaging more than 100 km/hour.
- Laboratory samples are delivered to sample collection points, where they are transported by ground to the laboratory for testing.
Optimizing Specimen Referral in Mozambique with Drones
Lessons learned in the transportation of healthcare products by drones
Quality Analysis of Tuberculosis Specimens Transported by Drones versus Ground Transportation
Drones for Health: Boosting Access to Lifesaving Products
Insights Before Flights: How Community Perceptions Can Make or Break Medical Drone Deliveries
How to select a drone service provider
UAVs for Laboratory Sample Transport in Mozambique: Pilot Story
Phase 2 Drone Program Results*
*from 30 Dec 2020 – 31 May 2022
- Mozambique Instituto Nacional de Saúde
- Inhambane Provincial Department of Health
- Mozambique Ministry of Health
- Mozambique Civil Aviation Authority
- Swoop Aero
- Focusing Philanthropy
- UK Aid
- Frontier Technology Livestreaming
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Related Global Impact
See the latest updates from our work to improve access to quality healthcare in the world’s most underserved communities.