Where We Work | Program
Since 2019, the Mozambique Ministry of Health (MISAU) has been in touch with VillageReach about helping upgrade some of the capabilities of AlôVida, the ministry’s telephone hotline providing medical-related information to Mozambicans.
SolutionHealth Center By Phone
TopicHealth care information
In expanding AlôVida Health Center by Phone, VillageReach has used materials designed in Malawi to develop, adapt and translate Standard Operating Procedures. We also expanded platform capabilities by creating call recording, which is critical for quality assurance, developed and released COVID-19 IVR messages, and developed the technical capability for operators to work remotely. Night shifts were also introduced to extend service hours, making the hotline a 24-hour operation. We have developed the AlôVida Dashboard based on the MOH requirements and are currently working to integrate WhatsApp into the AlôVida platform.
VillageReach has been working in collaboration with MISAU and its implementation partners to develop a series of improvements to the AlôVida hotline platform with a focus on increasing service capacity and expanding content. Topics will include the latest information on COVID-19, maternal newborn child health, sexual reproductive health, HIV, immunizations, TB and mental health.
In 2021, AlôVida:
• Designed and translated COVID-19 modules in 7 languages
• Hired new nurse supervisor and trained 19 hotline workers
• In April 2021, VillageReach reached an agreement with Moz Telecom, improving the hotline by guaranteeing the functioning of AlôVida 24 hours/day with up to 24 voice lines; 64 lines for callers in a queue; and 128 concurrent interactive voice message recordings.
VillageReach estimates that during the first year of operation AlôVida HCPB will provide 1.2 million meaningful interactions with users who are seeking health information of health topics.
- Ministry of Health (MISAU)
- Fundação para o Desenvolvimento da Comunidade (FDC)
- Johns Hopkins University Center for Communication Programs – Breakthrough Action
- David Weekley Family Foundation